Friday, May 13, 2011

My iPhone 3GS is now a 32Gb iPod Touch

Well, the cell radio inside my 23-month old iPhone 3GS has finally failed, after 2+ months of increasingly erratic behavior.  This effectively turns my iPhone into an iPod Touch, which is fine, since everything else, including the Wi-Fi, on the unit still works just fine.  I did not purchase an Apple Care package for it, since you don't expect a $300 phone to completely fail within 2 years, so there are no repair options available  Since I have a Blue Mikey 2.0 microphone attachment for exceptional recording, I'll be holding onto this unit for the foreseeable future.

I popped the SIM card out, and it still turns on and brings up the home screen, so I suspect I'm not going to have to do anything else to it to keep using it as an iPod.

I am, however, relegated to trying to get my old Motorola flip phone back in service...assuming the batter will hold a charge.  If not, I'm off to eBay to pick up an old used phone to hold me over till upgrade time arrives.  I AM NOT looking forward to texting on an old numeric keypad once again!

We are moving to Verizon from AT&T, since they now have the iPhone, and our contract is up in only 5 more weeks, but I don't want to settle for the iPhone 4 when the 5 is rumored to be available no later than September.  My wife's 3GS is still going strong...well as strong as can be had on the AT&T network.  So we will, most likely, be waiting until the iPhone 5 is available before making the move to Verizon.  I'm eyeing either a 4G Android handset (Thunderbolt), the HP Pre 3 running Web OS, or the iPhone 5.  I haven't decided, but after 4 years of iPhone life, I'm ready to look at different options.

No comments:

Post a Comment