Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Dell laptop sound issues....IDT High Definition Audio

A friend of mine brought me her computer to fix. She had recently contracted a few viruses and/or spyware intrusions, and the morons that she took it to fix it ended up losing all of her data (except for her music) and reinstalling the OS (Windows XP MCE). However, now the sound doesn't work (I would have thought they would have made sure the thing was working before giving it back, but like I said, they are morons). The laptop is Dell Inspiron E1505. When you bring up the Device Manager, you see a "!" next to IDT High Definition Audio Codec. I found this document which explains that we simply need to install the SigmaTel drivers from the Dell site (I had already tried the Creative Labs drivers, but they didn't work). So I downloaded the SigmaTel drivers, uninstalled the current IDT drivers (right click, Uninstall), rebooted, ran the downloaded driver file, and all is fine now.

I personally don't buy Dell (for reasons which are more than obvious to those who know me), but my brother has a Dell. I've already yelled at him about it....

1 comment:

  1. can you tell us the driver you downloaded to get sound to work??

    ReplyDelete