Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Firefox 3.5 has a memory leak....

I'm now running Firefox 3.5 on my Windows 7 64-bit RC1 (7100) release. Last night I had iconified Firefox to the taskbar, with only a single tab open (my home page, which is nothing more than file on my system with a list of favorite sites), and when I tried to open it this morning, it would not open. This is the 2nd time this has happened since my 3.5 upgrade last week, so I brought up the Task Manager and found that Firefox indeed has a memory leak. This single instance of Firefox had consumed over 1.2Gb of memory. Not only could I not bring up the old window, I could also not launch a new instance of Firefox.

I was able to kill Firefox with the task manager, but this is truly disappointing behavior from such a long-running product as Firefox.

I have monitored it throughout the day so far, and my current instance with 4 tabs open has grown to nearly 132Mb of memory. I will continue to monitor and report back here, but will also check for a bug report on mozilla's site.

No comments:

Post a Comment