Wednesday, April 29, 2009

How goes the AT&T U-verse?

Well, here is my first impression of the new AT&T U-verse I had installed to replace Comcast. Setting up the TV converter boxes has been quite frustrating. All of the old wiring (that I installed 15 years ago when I was young(er) and dumb(er)) does not seem to work very well. That means 2 of the TV's were rather spotty with coverage. I fixed one of them by running a length of CAT5 cable to it. The other simply required rearranging the living room to take advantage of a better connection I had installed a few years back. Now all 5 TV's are working well.

There are occasional hangs or stutters, but my wife assures me it's not more than what we saw with Comcast Digital cable. The DVR works wonderfully. I haven't tried watching on a different box, but I will soon. The 2 recorded shows we watched were of very good recorded quality.

I'm a little bummed that the U200 package does not include any real movie channels. At least Comcast's digital basic included the Encore movie channels. It's also taking some time getting used to the locations of all the channels, but all-in-all, it's looking acceptable.

The internet connection is also pretty stable. I don't think it's quite as fast as it should be, as I still usually max out at around 1Mb downloading on torrents, and i'm paying for the highest speed. I may try dropping that if the future to a lower level and saving a few bucks, as we are only 1700 feet from the drop box and should be getting as good a connection as is possible.

I abhor changing email addresses (I'm seriously considering moving everything to my google mail account so I don't have to do it anymore), so I'm certainly going to make sure we keep this service before changing everything and canceling the comcast service.

No comments:

Post a Comment